Topping this week’s Viral Video Chart is the trailer for a new book on social media marketing, arguing that social media is not a fad. The video, which combines surprising statistics with flashy graphics and electronic music, is emerging as a fad itself on YouTube.
The video covers the latest trends and statistics driving major social media networks.
Social Media Statistics
Here are just a few statistics outlined in the video:
- By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers….96% of them have joined a social network
- Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met via social media
- Years to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years), TV (13 Years), Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)…Facebook added 100 million users in less than 9 months…iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 4th largest between the United States and Indonesia